‘Booboo Balm’ is a staple in our home. It is used by all members of our family, from our newborn baby (diaper rash) and our dog (skin abrasions) to me (dry winter hands) and My Love (chafed cheeks).
‘Booboo Balm’ is a calendula salve. Made by melting beeswax and adding calendula infused oil with an addition of lavender essential oil.
But after learning about the amazing healing properties of plantain I decided to infuse more plant goodness into this batch of balm. This balm is a synergy of four herbs:
* Calendula * Camomile * Lavender * Plantain
Each of these has wonderful benefits to the skin.
* “Calendula is a powerful vulnerary, healing wound by promoting cell repair and growth.” (Rosemary Gladstar’s book: Medicinal Herbs) In addition, the flowers have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that assist in keeping infections at bay. Therefore a great base for our ‘Booboo Balm’ meant for use on bruises, burns, sores, rashes, etc. Gladstar also explains that calendula is wonderful for babies as it is both potent and gentle.
* Chamomile is another great example of a gentle herb that is potent and effective. The flowers are fragrant and have anti-inflammatory properties.
* Lavender first has relaxing and uplifting effects as well as it being an “effective traditional antibacterial,anti-fungal, and antiseptic agent.” (Rosemary Gladstar; Medicinal Herbs)
* Plantain is one of the most common and useful weeds. Easily found in lawns or other wet clay soils. Plantain has hemostatic properties so it can slow bleeding. It is also a great remedy for insect bites and stings or other skin disorders. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties to help with the infection.
Infusing the oil:
* Lightly pack a mixture of the above mentioned dry plants in a glass jar, up to a 1/3 of the jar. Cover with a carrier oil of your choice (almond, olive, sunflower...). * Place on a sunny windowsill for two weeks. * Stain, label and store in a dark and cool place.
Making the balm:
* 1 part beeswax * 7 parts infused oil * 1% essential oil by weight
I’m double boiler melt the wax. Add the oil and melt again. Remove from flame and add the EO. Pour into containers, allow to cool and harden, label and close the containers.